Friday, July 9, 2010

School Schmool....

So lately I've been experiencing some hmmmm.....academic uncertainty? academic turmoil? Either way, I'm having issues lol! Not with my performance, or my drive to keep going, but with where I'm going and how I'm getting there and such.
Alright, so to explain my situation a little bit I am finally, just now, this summer, finishing up the very LAST of my prerequisites for nursing school, or at least I hope so! I'm sure many of you know that some schools requirements can vary slightly, but for the most part they're all pretty similar with the exception of a couple classes. So alright cool, in 6 weeks I'll be prime meat for nursing school assuming all my credits from the 3 colleges I've attended transfer, which could potentially be a nightmare! But all that set aside, I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE I'M GOING TO GO TO SCHOOL! Jeff (my hubby) has been in limbo trying to decided whether or not he will be staying in the Marines; this puts me in limbo when it comes to deciding where I will to be going to school. As of right now if I apply to a school down in California where I'm living I won't have enough to complete a program before we have to move. I've even thought of moving back home and going to school up here while Jeff is still in Cali but at this point I'm not willing to split my family up for potentially up to a year and a half just for the sake of school, it just doesn't seem worth it to me and it's definitely not fair for anyone.
Here's my other problem, ummmm....the closer I get to applying to a nursing program the more I wonder if it's something I really want to do??? AWWW!!! lol I've never been one to make up my mind easily. Well the reason I initially wanted to do nursing was because at the time when I went back to school I was a single Mom and really, it just seemed like the logical thing to do. Nursing is a profession that will always be around, decent pay, hopefully benefits?, anyway, it seemed like a good route to take that would provide me with the means to take care of me and my baby, by myself. Nursing was never something I had a passion to do, it just seemed smart. Well lots of things have changed for me in the last 2 years or so, and I'm not saying that I now can just sit on my butt and my husband is going to take care of me (which he would and I don't think there is anything wrong with that and actually, when you're staying home with your kids you're NEVER sitting on your butt!) but that's not the point. You never know what's going to happen and I think it's extremely important to be self sufficient and be able to take care of yourself! Okay I'm going off on a tangent, but I now feel that I can pursue something that really interests me instead of doing something that I felt I needed to do, make sense? The problem is, what interests me? Anyway, case and point, I need to finish school, I won't feel accomplished in my life if I don't. I don't care if I stay at home with my kids until they graduate (which I would be happy to do) and never use the dang degree for as long as I have it! I just want it! lol :)
In closing, I suppose for now I will just be patient and wait until I know when I will be somewhere, FOR SURE, for 2 years, then apply to a nursing program ? and while I'm waiting I'll take the last couple classes I need for my transfer degree and do some serious thinking so that I can hopefully determine what career is best for me!

3 comments:

  1. You will figure it out Nicole! You've done such a great job starting and raising your family and you'll do just as great when it comes to school. Take your time and find something you love to do and something that makes you happy! You'll always be a great role model to your girls and other Mommies out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you will figure it out! You will know when it comes along, but for now great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cole, I love that you wrote this! Not sure if you know, but I am going to be heading back to school for nursing but have my pre-req's to complete before. You're definitely a step a head of me, but decisions like this are tough to make! I know exactly what you mean by not feeling 100% satisfied unless you go back to school and do it. I took a HUGE risk by quitting my job so I could go back to school, but knew if I didn't do it now I would probably never do it and being a nurse is something I have been SO passionate about since like HS. Just my two cents on the subject... know how ya feel and think it's great you're so determined... even if you never do anything with the degree, you know you did it!

    ReplyDelete